2.25.2009

CURTIS MAYFIELD



YES YES YESSSS

CURTIS OH GOD OH GOD YESSSS..... DONT STOP KEEP GOINGGGGG OHHH GOODDDDDDDDD....

mmmmnnnnmmm....*takes a drag off a cigarrette*

Orgasms are usually saved for the ending.  Excuse my utter lack of respect for plot structure but my superlative nature just couldn't contain the hyperbole.

Now there are musicians and then there are musicians...  Curtis Mayfield falls into the italicized category.  His flights of fancy take you on a rainbow road of emotion and nostalgia.  I used to listen to Curtis Mayfield's Superfly soundtrack during high school while hanging out with friends and family.  My oldest sister is twelve years older than me and she opened me up to Superfly.  Superfly is actually a blaxploitation film from the 70's.  Its a sort of Shaft-esque, pimps up hoes down kinda film about a coke dealer rising through the ranks....  I never even saw the film until my junior year in college and I didn't find it that good anyway (Dolemite rules the genre).  Superfly is actually famous for having the only soundtrack to outsell the film... which makes sense.  Of course Curtis is not only famous for Superfly, he's got tons of other great songs not related.  But Superfly was a part of my introduction to him so I had to write about it.

Pusher Man - A classic story of drugs and socio-economic issues.  Such a good song.

Freddies Dead - You can guess why he is dead... this is from a gangster, drug dealers movie.  Sick live video on youtube.

Gimme Your Love - Listen to Curtis wail on that guitar at the beginning... this tidbit makes me want to touch velvet and eat sticks of butter at the same time.....tasty snacks.

Move on up! - This is on my cellphone as my alarm, so I like to wake up to this and it makes me feel oh-so-gooood.

And so many more good songs.  These are some of my favorites.  If they are not already in your repertoire then put 'em in.  Cheeerio mates.

No comments:

Post a Comment