7.29.2010

blanket time



I saw The National and Beach House with Beth the other day and we have another friend surprisingly. It was great. It was in Prospect Park. Above was our view because we did not actually purchase tickets. There were a lot of young people, which was confusing because that is the wrong demographic for The National. Beach House, maybe. Still, where were the new moms and dads? Where were their strollers? Where were their babies they forced to wear glasses and Vans and silly shorts (all babies wear silly shorts)? OH. They were inside the fenced in venue because they have careers and can pay for the more intimate experience of both hearing and seeing a show.
Well let me tell you something. It couldn't have gotten much more intimate than my experience...bummer, I just scoured my photos to find the one(s) of me sitting on Beth's lap for the show but I think our other friend (who is real) took them with his camera.* (*found one it can be seen above.) It was physical. And emotional. I tried to make myself cry because I like to cry but the music wasn't piercing my soul to the right degree. I got my money's worth (FREE). I did dance a lot by the fence, which makes no sense because it wasn't any louder. I kind of felt like a gerbil trying to escape but that makes no sense because I was outside the fenced in area. I guess the grass is always greener for gerbils in the park. I danced with some girls and Beth remained on the blanket during my second excursion to the dance floor and that was when I made a friend! She was either really drunk or fucking nuts. She told me after not talking to me that I "should never change." "Just be exactly who you are always, you're awesome." Thanks maniac, I will. Oh, the music was fine. They played "Mr. November" and "Secret Meeting" and some other songs. I hate The National. Beach House was great. "Zebra" and "Walk in the Park" were dreamy. That's the closest I came to crying. Why can't I cry?


I did not take this video. Probably a dad with a pocket size video cam did. Cool tech dad!

1 comment:

  1. okay, i was with you throught the whole, "beth and i saw a show thing". because, yes, that did indeed happen. however, this "other friend" business. i don't know. i mean I saw another person there, and i think you did too, but seriously, this other friend thing is too foreign for me to tell if it's real or imaginary. additionally, what the fuck, "i hate the national"? well, i hate you for even joking like that. we were too salsa wine drunk to be sad drunk. we were salsa wine happy drunk, so please, do not blame our lack of emotion on those beautiful angels from the lord on high. and i get that was supposed to be mildly sarcastic and witty and ironic and such, but i really do not think this is funny. at all. thanks for the cookie book though, buttercup!

    ReplyDelete