9.26.2010

Portishead's Producer Changing Gears.

Geoff Barrow has a long and varied career as a musician. He collaborated with Depeche Mode, Massive Attack and Primal Scream back in the day. But he is most famous for his contributions to Portishead.

Geoff was the main man behind Portishead's deep azz electric boogaloo. Boogy fo sho. In fact, Portishead's live recordings at Roseland NYC are actually some of the best live recordings I think I've ever heard. It sounds like they are in a studio.

When I went through a particularly depressing phase of my life the song "Over" basically came to define who I was. Looking back on it now, it was a bit too dramatic... if you listen to the song you will know what I mean. But wow, the way Beth Gibbons controls her voice is so deliberate and powerful. She sends shivers through this old man.

So we have established that Geoff is a talented dude. His next project is this ditty called "Anika". Kind of a weird Asian pop mixed with Le Tigre and Stereo Total. It's pretty good and now out on Stones Throw, which is a good label.



1 comment:

  1. Hey, sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you, internet connection is awful and it never tells me when I have a new comment! So glad you like the blog, and very impressed that you took Islamic studies. The whole Islam vs Christianity thing continues to blow my mind here - check out my latest post about what one of my 8 year old students said! Crazy. Are you in Indonesia? I'm afraid I can't comment on Portishead, my partner is the one extensive music knowledge....I just pretend most of the time! I'm going to explore your blog further though and sign up x

    ReplyDelete