2.06.2009

Forest + Water


I saw two really great bands the other night. And I use the word "saw" very loosely because the venue was so smokey and fogged up with the smell of broken beer bottles and young hormones that I couldn't really see more than three feet in front of me. However, I guess I was there to hear not see anyways, so things worked out because in terms of listening, I received quite the treat. Wavves played a banging set that made everyone literally bounce in place, some even attempting to create a light-hearted mosh pit. They were super. Then, after their wonderful set, a band I really really love, Woods, set up. This might be silly sounding, but I feel like Woods doesn't make music, they create it (if such a distinction can be made). They wrestle out notes and sounds and yelps from their instruments and crazy elaborate soundboard in such a way that you feel like you're suddenly the lead character in a very dark and serious foreign film. I don't exactly know what that means, but take it for what you will. Also, it's really fun watching that guy on stage with the headphones thrash around and try not to get his many cords caught or tangled while doing so. LOVE IT.

Download Wavves: Teenage Super Party, Gun in the Sun, and So Bored.

Download Woods: Spike, Family, and Diamond Days.

Catch both Woods and Wavves tonight, if you haul ass, at the Market Hotel. They also play tomorrow night at "Less Artists More Condos." Check it out if you know what's good for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment